Call Us Speak with an Agent (800)252-6885
Homeowners Insurance HOME

We provide Policies to protect your home and personal belongings.

Read More
Flood Insurance FLOOD

Have Peace of mind that you are covered if a flood strikes.

Read More
Auto Insurance AUTO

Coverage for you and your loved ones in the event of an accident.

Read More
Business Insurance BUSINESS

Discover the perfect insurance options to meet your needs.

Read More
Boat Insurance BOAT

Protect your personal watercraft with an affordable rate.

Read More
Renters Insurance RENTERS

Get an Insurance policy to protect all of your personal Items.

Read More

What's The Difference Between Home Insurance And Dwelling Insurance?

Lately, a few inquiries have crossed my desk asking what exactly is dwelling insurance; more specifically what's the difference between dwelling and homeowners insurance. Luckily, this is a fairly easy thing to explain.

Sometimes called 'Investment Property Insurance', or even in some instances 'Second Home Insurance' dwelling insurance is commonly used to insure only the structure, or 'dwelling.' Homeowners insurance provides dwelling coverage, but also includes, as standard coverage, personal property and personal liability protection.

Click here to have one of our agents review your property to determine the correct coverage for you.

Dwelling Or Homeowners Insurance - How To Determine The Right Type Of Policy

Whether you need a dwelling policy, or homeowners insurance depends mainly on if you consider the home you want to insure is your primary residence. The insurance industry describes a primary residence as a residence that you reside in for the majority of the year. For some insurance companies this is as simple as saying what ever property you live in for at least 6 months and a day is considered a primary residence. We can also assume in confidence that your primary home will contain most if not all your personal possessions. A homeowners policy provides standard insurance mainly for your personal property, as well as for the dwelling and even personal liability. There is also various other coverage's and options of coverage that is included in a homeowners policy, but I'll save those details for another article.
So what if you don't live in the home and either rent it out as an investment, or consider it a vacation home 3 months out of the year?
Let's start with the first one- investment property. Any investment property that you rent out should only require coverage for the dwelling and liability. A dwelling policy fits this situation perfectly because you don't need to insure your personal property since it is not located at this building. However, if you have some personal items at the property you can add additional coverage to a dwelling policy to cover it, but for the most part a dwelling policy provides insurance for the building itself and if available- liability. The bottom line is with a standard dwelling policy you are only paying for coverage you need. If additional insurance is necessary beyond the dwelling itself, such as liability or even a small amount of personal property coverage you can add it to the dwelling policy. But what about that vacation home you only live in
What If I Rent Out My Vacation Home Part Of The Year?
This is a good question and one often asked. Unfortunately, there is no straight answer and varies between insurance companies. Some companies will require a dwelling policy if you rent the property out more than 3 months a year. In this instance and if you keep personal items in the home while rented (furniture, appliances, etc) you may be required to carry a dwelling policy with liability and then add on personal property coverage to cover your personal items at the home. However, some insurance companies don't put restrictions and you may be able to get a homeowners policy to cover the property no matter how long you rent, but as long as you reside in the home at some length of time during the year. We come across this situation several times with clients who have a ski chalet up north and keep it fully furnished, but rent it out a couple months in the winter to cover the taxes and cost to own it. Most of the time we are able to place a homeowners policy on the property. Give your insurance agent a call or email to get more clarity on whether a dwelling or homeowners insurance policy is best to cover your vacation home.

Vacant Or Under Renovation
Do you have a vacant building that's not currently in use, or maybe you're trying to sell? Do you have an investment property that you're renovating and eventually plan on renting to tenants? If any of these scenario's fit then you'll need dwelling insurance for what the insurance industry calls 'vacant property.' You might say that if you're renovating the property there's someone on the premises, but the insurance company is looking for permanent residency and unless there's someone who uses that properties address as a residence then they classify it as a vacant property. And since there is no full time resident a vacant dwelling tends to cost more to insure. Sometimes you may have difficulty obtaining coverage for a vacant dwelling, but a good insurance agent will be more than happy to help you find coverage for your vacant property.

source: Carroll Steele
Want to Hear More about your 
Options for Home Insurance?  Or Give us a Call at 1-800-252-6885
Greene & Associates Insurance provides  Insurance Quotes, Rates and Policies online for Home, Auto and Business Insurance for the entire State of Florida including Lake City Fl, Jacksonville Fl, Gainesville Fl, Alachua Fl, Live Oak Fl, Ft White Fl, Branford Fl, Ocala Fl, Middleburg F, Greene Cove Springs Fl & St Augustine Fl
Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014
  • 2013
  • 2012

View Mobile Version
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier